Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Best Weekend in the World

So... last Friday I went on a day trip to St. Croix State Park with my best friend. We hiked some of the trails, saw some beautiful scenery, talked, laughed, and had a wonderful time together.

It was so interesting to me how being out in nature changes his outlook and demeanor. I could actually feel his stress level diminishing, and could feel the sense of peace that he gets from being among the trees, near the water, out enjoying creation.

He's a really good photographer, and he took some beautiful pictures that day. He framed an absolutely gorgeous picture of a flower that he took, and gave it to me to commemorate the wonderful day we had together. It's next to my bed, and I can't even describe how beautiful it is. The flower seems to glow and just jumps out of the picture. And it's a pink and white flower, so it goes perfectly with the decor in my bedroom.

On Saturday we went to the farmers' market. He got a bunch of veggies and herbs, and I got some loose tea (smells divine) and a tie-dyed sundress. It was so much fun to just wander around, looking at everything, chatting, sampling food, and just being able to relax.

Then, that night, he made a wonderful dinner for me with the things he got at the farmers' market. We had grilled blue marlin steaks with a citrus marinade, baked potatoes with a delicious topping of butter, sour cream, garlic and chives, and grilled yellow and green zucchini. Everything tasted so good... he is a great cook. I love it when he cooks for me, and he says that he loves to cook for me... so it works out just perfectly.

It was just so, so nice to spend the weekend doing something fun, relaxing, and meaningful. It was so nice to leave the stress of everyday life behind for a couple days and spend time with someone that I can connect with on every level. It was so wonderful to see nature through his eyes. It was so wonderful to be with someone that I can just be myself with. I don't have to censor what I say, watch what I do, or work to keep things even. We have a deep understanding of one another, and we both know that we can say anything, do anything, just be who we are, and everything will be alright.

It floors me every single day to have someone in my life that I don't have to be afraid with, who I can trust and depend on, and who I know loves me just the way I am, warts and all. I'm just not used to that... but holy hell... I certainly could get used to it.

I was sad and a little melancholy when the weekend was over and I had to get back to the daily grind... this past weekend meant the world to me... I needed it like you wouldn't believe, and I cherish my memories of it.

No comments: